Saturday, February 4, 2012

Inspiration and Design Process

Here's some images I gained inspiration from for the new blog background. I'm really obsessed with the whole play on bees and the letter 'B'
(if you hadn't noticed, I themed my blog on it...)

There are so many cute honeycomb/bee things out there right now - try a search on Etsy.
pugly pixel blog

Found these really cool down loadable jpegs and photoshop designs on Pugly Pixel blog.


I wanted to spice it up a little, so I was looking for different ways to create honeycomb shapes with more colors and textures.

sewing machine

This is a picture from a tutorial on how to pimp out your sewing machine - lol. If I used mine more I might consider this, but its the perfect example of what I wanted in adding patterns and color.


collage art
And then I came across this project on A Beautiful Mess blog. I loved the photos in the triangular shapes.

Since I haven't been sleeping much (thank you pregnancy), this background project is how I've been passing the time. Here's what did with my new found inspiration.
fabric

I started off by photographing some fabric scraps, along with some scrapbook paper I liked. I just centered it in my view finder on my camera and voila. Seriously. Not fancy.

DSC_2239 DSC_2232
(top is scrapbook paper, bottom is fabric)

Once I had all my photos in a variety of patterns and colors from the fabric and paper, I opened them in photoshop. I tweaked with the hues, saturation, colors and added some actions to really make them pop. I used the shape tool to "cut out" single honeycomb polygons.

The one with 6 sides - wait... right?!
PS polygon shape copy

It looks like this!

PS single polygon
I made some solid colored polygons, a few with just the outline and even clipped some Instagram photos too! I started a new document in the size I needed for my blog (which was a lot of trial and error). I started collaging all my little polygons together and there you have it.

 I really like the way it turned out. I think it adds a lot to the design and layout of the blog.
I am NO blog designer by any means and this literally was a lot of trial and error to figure out the sizing of everything, so creating your own blog background is TOTALLY do-able!

Let me know if you have questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment